Club members like to be on the tracks skiing as soon as Cypress opens, which we hope will be by early December. Our Racing Team and Track Attack hit the trails as soon as the mountain is open.
Jackrabbit, Jackbunny, and Adventurer weekend sessions commence in early December and end in March. We now have a new Club Calendar on our home page which will be updated regularly with events happening over the season. Note, all dates subject to change.
Below are some of the activities club members take part in during a typical ski season. See the Club Calendar for specific dates.
- Training for volunteers starts in the fall, with the Community Coaching Workshops for new coaches and officials courses for those planning on helping out at our races/events.
- The club has a ski swap, hosted by Sigge’s at 2077 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver.
- The club helps organize and participates in Coast Cup #1, the first club race of the season, which takes place on either the last Sunday in November or the first Sunday in December. We will need everyone helping out to make this event a success.
- The club will take part in Coast Cups 2 and 3 at Whistler Olympic Park (WOP) instead of our regular sessions at Cypress. This normally takes place on a January weekend.
- At the end of December the club hosts a Lantern Ski, which is a great opportunity to experience a magical evening on the mountain.
- In late December, Cypress puts on two great family events: Breakfast with Santa and the New Year’s Family Barbecue. Both events are favourites of club members so come out and join the fun.
- Sigge’s P’ayakentsut (“P’ayak”) will take place at Whistler Olympic Park on the last Saturday in February. There are 15, 30 and 50 km loppets, starting at 10:00 a.m. with the 50, and a P’ayak Mini loppet for children aged 5-12 in the afternoon starting at 1:00 p.m. Club members are encouraged to attend and details will be sent out as we near the date.
- The season will wrap up with the volunteer appreciation evening.
Weekend Program Sessions
Jackbunny, Jackrabbit, Track Attack, Adventurer
- Saturdays AM (9:00 – 11:30 a.m.)
Dec 9, 16, Jan 6*,13, 20, 27 Feb 3, 10, 17, 24*, Mar 3, 10
- Sundays AM (9:00 – 11:30 a.m) and PM (1:00 – 1:30 p.m.)
Dec 10, 17, Jan 7*, 14, 21, 28* Feb 4, 11, 18, 25, Mar 4, 11
- Jackbunny sessions are on the same days but morning sessions are 9:15 – 11:15 a.m. and afternoon sessions are 1:15 – 3:15 p.m.
- Track Attack sessions are mornings only (no afternoon sessions), starting as soon as Cypress Cross Country opens.
* The Teck Coast Cup 2/3 sessions take place at Whistler Olympic Park January 6/7 this season as part of Teck BC Cup #1 and the BC Winter Games Trials. Teck Coast Cup #4 is on January 28. Sigge’s P’ayakentsut is on February 24. These events are part of the club program in lieu of regular sessions at Cypress. Click on the drop-down for details regarding these special event days.
Special Events Details
Saturday, January 6 is Coast Cup #2 and Sunday, January 7 is Coast Cup #3 at Whistler Olympic Park (WOP). These are fun races that the club will take part in, in lieu of sessions at Cypress. These races will be run as part of the BC Cup #1 event for the 2017/18 season and will include the BC Winter Games Trials for Zones 3, 4 and 5. Participation, not competition, is emphasized. Bunnies that are too young to participate in these events (4-year-olds) will still have a session at WOP. Children (and their parents) will have the option of skiing in one or both of these events. Note, a separate registration and fee will be required. Details will be sent out to club members as we near the dates of the events. Club members are encouraged to participate in both days of these events.
Teck Coast Cup #4
Sunday, January 28 is the date of Coast Cup #4, hosted by Sea to Sky Nordics at WOP and the club will be fully participating in this event. A separate registration and fee will be required. Details will be sent out to club members as we near the dates of the event.
Saturday, February 24 is the date of Sigge’s P’ayakentsut (P’ayak) at WOP and the club will be fully participating in this Olympic Legacy event. The 15, 30 and 50 km loppets for adults and teens takes place in the morning followed by the kids’ P’ayak Mini in the afternoon. Parents (and their friends and family) are encouraged to either take part in the loppet or volunteer for the event. Note, a separate registration and fee will be required for the P’ayak. Details will be sent out to club members as we near the dates of the event.
Weeknight Program Sessions
Jackrabbit Level 3 and 4, Track Attack, Adventurer
- Tuesdays 5:00 – 6:15 p.m. (Jackrabbit Level 3/4 and Track Attack)
Dec 19* Jan 9, 16, 23, 30, Feb 6, 13, 20, 27, Mar 6, 13
- Wednesdays 6:30 – 7:45 p.m.
Dec 20* Jan 10, 17, 24, 31 Feb 7, 14, 21, 28 Mar 7, 14
- Thursdays 6:30 – 7:45 p.m.
Dec 21* Jan 11, 18, 25, Feb 1, 8, 15, 23, Mar 1, 8, 15
* Sessions will be held once Cypress opens for night skiing. Watch Club Calendar for updates.
Attending the weeknight sessions for Level 3/4, Track Attack and Adventurers is optional but strongly encouraged. The fees remain the same even if these weeknight sessions are not attended.
The Race team has additional weekend and weeknight sessions, with Performance Racing training up to five days a week year-round.
The Adult/Masters program will be skiing Sundays from 9:00 am to 12 noon, and Thursdays from 7:00 to 9:00 pm. There are also Tuesday Night Races which you can enter on your own.