For the 2012/13 season, those volunteering for the race committee are expected to commit to helping with at least two of the following events, one of which should be the 2013 Haywood Ski Nationals:
- December 2, 2012 - Teck Coast Cup #1 Competition, Whistler Olympic Park
- February 23, 2013 - P'ayakentsut, Whistler Olympic Park
- March 23-30, 2013 - 2013 Haywood Ski Nationals, Whistler Olympic Park (minimum of three days)
The minimum time commitment required should be about 4 hours per event for a total of 8 hours. Of course the opportunity to become more involved and devote more time to the above events and others exists.
When it comes to organizing an event, there are many areas where volunteers are needed, some of which require officiating training and others which require no training whatsoever. The following positions are just a few examples of where you may be able to help:
- Organizing Committee member - take part in planning the event and making arrangements for a successful event
- Timers - only requires a small amount of pre-event training
- Computer Operators - officiating training required
- Food Services - help to organize and serve food and drinks for participants and volunteers
- Volunteer Coordinator - match volunteer requests from organizers with those volunteering
- Race Announcer
- Parking Lot Attendant
- Banquet organizer - some events, like the Midget Champs, offer a banquet
- Finish Line Marshalls - officiating training required
- Race Secretary - officiating training required
- Course Marshalls - ensure safety of skiers on course
- Stadium and Course Setup - you will be directed so no training is required
Note that there are positions available that do not require you to attend the actual event (e.g. purchasing food for the event).
A good way to become a little more involved and expand your horizons is to take an officiating course (offered by Cross Country B.C.). You don't need to be a skier and the club will cover the costs. The club will offer the following officiating courses the 2012/13 season:
- November 17, 2012 - Level 1 Officiating for new officials
- November 3-4, 2012 - Level 2 Officiating for those that have their level 1 and experience at a minimum of 4 events
Also, have a look at the CCBC Officials Course Schedule for offerings in other B.C. locations.