The main component of this is the Jackrabbit Program, named after the legendary Hermann “Jackrabbit” Smith-Johannsen – a Norwegian immigrant that lived and skied to the tender age of 112. Many of our current Olympic stars, including Beckie Scott and Sarah Renner, got their start in their local Jackrabbit program.
Skills Development Program
Jackbunny: Age 4-5
The objective of the Jackbunny program is to have fun and introduce cross-country skiing through organized activities and play.
- The program will be offered on weekends during Saturday AM, Sunday AM and Sunday PM sessions. Each session will last two hours with a hot chocolate break. The session start time will be 9:15 a.m. for the morning sessions and 1:15 p.m. for the afternoon sessions.
- A parent/guardian of four-year-olds and, optionally, five-year-olds new to the program must ski with their children in the program. Parents will be responsible for purchasing their own ski passes and arranging ski rentals. Note that if you are a parent skiing with your Jackbunny, you will not be able to coach.
- Coaches in the Jackbunny program have completed the Introduction to Community Coaching workshop as a minimum.
Jackrabbits: Age 6-9
The objective of the Jackrabbit program is to have fun while learning basic cross-country skills both classic and skating (Level 3 & 4).
- The program will be offered on weekends during Saturday AM, Sunday AM and Sunday PM sessions. Each session will last 2½ hours with a hot chocolate break. The morning session commences at 9:00 a.m. and the afternoon session at 1:00 p.m.
- For levels 3 and 4 skiers, an additional weeknight session will be offered. Skiers are strongly encouraged to attend this weeknight session in order to receive the most benefit from the program and there will be no fee reduction if the participant does not attend. The focus of this weeknight session will be to ski and play games and the groupings are less formal than on weekends with the main objective being to provide an opportunity for the children to ski twice a week.
- Registration in the Jackrabbit program should be performed first by skill level and the second by age (see the Registration Guide). The session coordinators will create preliminary groupings and review these groupings with the coaches and readjust their groups accordingly.
- Coaches in the Jackrabbit program have completed the ICC and CC workshops.
Track Attack: Age 10 – 12 (9 & 13 on an individual basis)
The objective of the Track Attack Program is to become technically competent cross-country skiers and develop fitness through active play, games and other activities.
- The Track Attack program will be offered Saturday AM and Sunday AM only. There will be no weekend afternoon sessions offered for Track Attack. Each weekend session will have a duration of approximately 2 1/2 hours and the start time will be 9:00 a.m.
- A weeknight session will also be offered on Wednesday and Thursday nights and it will have a duration of 1¼ hours and will commence at 6:30 p.m.
- The season will begin as soon as there is sufficient snow and weeknight skiing will begin as soon as Cypress Mountain begins night operations.
- The off-season activities will consist of dryland sessions in the spring and fall. The focus of these sessions is on fun through games, activities and age-appropriate training circuits/stations while following the guidelines of the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) guidelines and the Track Attack Booklet.
- Skiers will have the opportunity to race at local and provincial races with coaching and wax support.
- Occasionally, this group could join the Teen groups for special activities such as orienteering.
- Coaches in the Track Attack program have either completed Level 2 NCCP certification or the LTT Dryland and LTT On-Snow workshops.
Hollyburn Racing Team (ages 13-18)
Joining the Racing Team is a fun way to develop your fitness, skiing and competition skills in a supportive, team environment. Members of the Racing Team will register in either the Racing Teens or the Performance Racing Program. Have a look at the Racing Team FAQs for further details.
New Racing Team members must contact Head Coach Jake Weaver at 604-988-3164 before registering.
Racing Teens (ages 13+)
For those Teens that have some interest in racing but are not yet ready to make the commitment required for the Performance Racing program. This program has the following structure:
- Ski 2-3 days per week.
- Participants are encouraged to take part in fall dryland training.
- May choose to participate in additional training sessions year round.
- Coached by level II (LTT) coaches and Level III (T2T) coaches.
- Opportunity to race at local and provincial races with coaching and wax support.
- Opportunity to take part in loppets.
- Emphasis on fun, doing your best, social interaction and improving technique and fitness.
- If you think you have some interest in racing this is a program for you!
- Some youth may transition to the Performance racing program and some may stay in the Racing Teens program for a number of years.
- Opportunity to become a coach in later years (16+).
Performance Racing (ages 14+)
For those Teens that are more interested in racing and are willing to commit to training on a year round program. This program has the following structure:
- Skiing/training five days per week year-round.
- Individualized training programs.
- Fitness testing program.
- Designed for kids who would like to reach their full potential as racers through technique and fitness improvement in a fun, social team atmosphere.
- Suitable for kids who choose XC skiing as their primary winter sport.
- Supported by Level III (T2T) coaches.
- Coaching and waxing support at Provincial and National level racing.
- High performance waxes at races included.
- Opportunity to become a coach in later years (16+).
University/College Racing (ages 18+)
For athletes who have graduated from high school and are in university or college but want to continue to take part in the Race Team at a level that their schedule allows. Please register for either Teen Racers or Performance Racers based on your level of commitment and participation after a discussion with the Head Coach.
Adventurers (ages 13-18)
For those Teens that are recreationally-focused and are also interested in other types of ski experiences. This program has the following structure:
- Two-day per week winter ski program – Saturday or Sunday morning and Wednesday or Thursday in the evening (6:30-7:45 p.m.).
- Opportunity to participate in fall dryland training.
- Emphasis on fun, variety of activities and skiing for life.
- Activities available include backcountry skiing, loppets and local races.
- Coached by level II (LTT) coaches.
- Opportunity to become a coach in later years (14+)
- Coach training is paid for by the club and teenage coaches will be paid.
Graduate Coaching/Volunteer Program
We encourage any “graduates” of our programs to stay involved in the club by volunteering in whatever capacity they wish. For example, you could help out as Coach’s Assistant or, if you are 14 or older, you could take the NCCP coaching courses to become a certified coach. Either way, you would be teamed with an older, more experienced coach. The coaching courses are usually offered in the fall. Any time contributed to the club can be used for school volunteer requirements.
Adult/Masters Program (19+)
Under the Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) model, Hollyburn Cross Country Ski Club is proud to promote skiing for life. The Hollyburn Masters Ski Program is aimed at intermediate and experienced skiers (no beginners please) who are interested in refining their technique, improving their fitness, skiing in a team environment, having fun, and maybe even entering a race or two. Beginners are encouraged to first take lessons from Cypress before joining the Masters program. Members are expected to supply their own equipment for both styles of skiing.
The sessions will be split between classical and skate techniques, according to the group’s wishes. The Masters group will meet for a total of 11 sessions Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 8:00 pm.