Below are some useful documents and coach training materials. Note, some documents are quite large and may take a while to download.
The documents below are a collection of useful materials written by coaches or the coaching committee over the years.
- Classic Exercises
A listing of some useful exercises for practicing various classic technique skills.
- Games for Cross Country Skiing
A collection of games that can be used for improving cross country skiing technique and becoming comfortable on skis.
- Never Ever Lesson
A method of starting off someone who has never ever skied before.
- Waxing Course Info
Written by Jake Weaver based on a waxing course that he took in November, 2003. It contains some good information regarding the waxing of cross country skis.
Nordiq Canada Materials
L2T(On-Snow) Workshops Reference Materials
- CCI-L2T on snow coach workbook (Oct 30, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 1 – Intro and Setting the scene (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 2 – Equipment selection and ski prep. (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 3 – Technique Development Theory (Nov 13, 2017)
- L2T-CCI-L2T OS RM step 4 – Technique development – skating-RM-step-4—-echnique-development—skating-(Nov-13-2017) (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 5 – Teaching and Learning – Part 1 (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 6 – Teaching and Learning – Part 2 (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 7 – Athlete Support-OS-RM-step-7—-Athlete-Support-(Nov-13-2017) (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 8 – Technique Development – Classic (Nov 13, 2017)
- CCI-L2T OS RM step 9 – Evaluation (Nov 13, 2017)
L2T(Dryland) Workshops Reference Materials
- CCI-L2T dryland coach workbook (May 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 1 – Intro and Setting the scene(April 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 2 – Athletes and their sport needs (April 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 3 – Evaluating your sport program (April 4, 2016)
- L2T DL RM step 4 – Athletic components (April 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 5 – Nutrition(April 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 6 – Designing your own sport program(April 4, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 7 – Introducing adventure-based activities(March 7, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 8 – Safety and risk management(March 8, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 9 – Skill Development – Dryland techniques (March 8, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 10 – Planning a practice(March 28, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 11 – Making Ethical decisions(March 28, 2017)
- L2T DL RM step 12 – Evaluation(March 28, 2017)
CC Workshop Reference Materials
- Step 4 – Teaching classic technique
- Step 5 – Designing a seasonal plan
- Step 6 – Preparing for your practice
- Step 7 – Ski base prep and waxing
- Step 9 – Teaching skating technique
- Step 10 – Practice coaching session
- Step 11 – Evaluation
These documents are from various organizations that contain material relevant to coaching cross country skiers.
- Programmers Guidedbook for Cross Country Canada’s Skill Development Program for Children
Published December 11, 2006 by Cross Country Canada. This document provides a good overview of the Skill Development Program and surrounding structures (club structure, parents, etc.).
- Developing Physical Literacy – A Guide For Parents Of Children Ages 0 to 12
Published by Canadian Sport Centres, this document describes developing sport for life and the Long-Term Athlete Development model, which form the basis of Cross Country Canada’s training programs that we use.
- The Role of Adequate Nutrition for Performance and Health for Female Cross Country Skiers
Published November, 2003 by the International Ski Federation (FIS).
More information coming soon.